Thursday, June 8, 2017

If I could choose again, who would I marry?

A couple of days ago, I was at Asia Square, one of Singapore's most modern financial centers. A few thousand people work in that two high-rise buildings. 

In between meetings, I had a lunch break by myself. It was the busiest time of the day and there were probably a thousand people eating at the huge Food Garden. By chance, I had a seat which was located just in front of the escalator coming up from level 1. 

I love people watching. So while I enjoyed my garlic nun and Indian biryani rice set, I took the opportunity to observe the myriad faces that passed me by.  I saw men, women, tall ones, short ones, well-built and slim ones, cherry-faced and stressed-looking ones, and people from different countries and races. I must have observed at least 200 faces in 45 minutes.

In between munching and watching, an interesting thought came to my mind .... "If I could choose all over again, which one or type of woman would I choose to be my wife?" I entertained the thought in the context of exercising my belief in Maximum Marriage. I know I am risking it but I also know that I am risking it for my readers; well, it is really a justification to go on that mind excursion.

And so I looked more intensely and turned my focus on to the females while filtering the men from my lenses. I wanted to look deeper and beyond the physiques. I tried to profile each one. It was wishful thinking as I tried to imagine which of the women I observed might be my suitable companion ... it was pure imagination. Still my imagination had criteria for the person to meet. I looked and speculated. Some were pretty attractive on the outside. Others seemed to exude charm from within. And there those who just did not quite attract me at all, not that they weren't good looking, it is just that I felt no chemistry at first sight.

I must confess that I had quite an enjoyable time looking at all those ladies. But at the end of my mental excursion, I concluded that, as attractive and charming as many were, none could fit my criteria to be my companion and lover for life. The reason is that by my standards, not one came close to Michelle, my lover of more than 35 years. 

"How do you know? You don't even know them. You are simply speculating!" you may ask. 

And yes you are very right. I don't know and I am speculating. But think again, I will never know until I lived with one and for a long time. I would also be speculating if I thought that one of them could be a good choice for me. 

But one thing is for sure, Michelle and I have been together for over 40 years. We have been through the highs and lows of life. Neither of us is perfect. But in our imperfect self, God has ordained our marriage and He is in our midst. We believe then, that no one else can be better than who we already have now. This is one of our reason to want to stay married to each other for the rest of our life, come what may. This idea has helped us weather my storms and tempting thoughts through out marriage. This is the mindset that drives Michelle and I towards a Maximum Marriage.
So if I had to choose all over again, I will still choose Michelle, not because of who she is, but because I know that if God have given me the best companion ever .... anyone else is only second best! And I just have to live daily to be the best one for her too.

For more of such sharing, check out my book "Maximum Marriage - From Husband and Wife to Lovers for Life!"

God bless.

Steven


Your comments and sharing are most welcome. Fuel debate, share your experience and ask questions. Click "Comment" to have you say! You are also encouraged to mark your reaction to my post....

No comments: